Thursday, June 21, 2007

Cell Phone!

I bought a cellphone today with the spare money I had left over from the states. For 30,000 CFA which is somewhere around 50 USD.

My number is : 011 226 76 79 3367

Those are all the numbers you would need to dial to call me from the states.

Once again; it's free for me to receive calls; really expensive for me to call out, but you should all be able to find calling cards that end up being about 11 or 12 cents per minute from the states. When you're looking up rates or whatever keep in mind that you're calling a cell; sometimes the rates are different. I have no idea what your local phone company would charge you w/o a calling card but I can assure you that the calling card is much much cheaper.

I've heard that there's a calling card on callingcards.com that is 11 c per minute but I don't have any verification that it's a good deal yet (you know like no hidden fees etc).

You can call me at anytime but the times I am for sure not in class are:
Sunday: anytime
Saturday: anytime after 8 am EST
M-F: anytime after 1:30 pm EST

In general I go to bed before 7 EST but you can call anyway I'm sure I'd love to hear from you and please let me know about what calling cards work so i can know for the future.

Ciao!

8 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Hey there!

Pennytalk - 35c/min
Pingo - 23.5c/min
(pingo didn't have 2 numbers for mobile and land line... also couldn't find any peace corps discount, or rather, I did, at the peace corps site, but the link they had to pingo didn't agree... you may need to call them to find out about it. it doesn't look well documented on the web.)

http://callingcardsoutlet.com/calling/cards?aff=956&originationcountry=USA+-+Continental&destinationcountry=Burkina+Faso

This site has some prepaid cards, the best of which has a rate of 11.4, but it's got a mysterious '10% carrier service fee deducted after each call' and there's weekly or biweekly fees that start kicking in after the first use.

They suggest using the whole card in 1 call. which I believe avoids all the weird fees. so if you buy a bunch of 5 dollar cards, thats 43 minutes of air time if you use it at once, if you don't... who knows. But I'd suggest getting many smaller denominations rather than a larger one.

Unknown said...

ps. this thing should let you edit comments!

one more thing on pingo. I read that if they don't specifically state a mobile rate, they generally charge you through the nose for it. So for pingo you might want to try asking a human about it.

Unknown said...

http://www.callingcards.com/shopping/card_profile.asp?TC=BM&GUID=ED738C0D4335194AB583417A4AD94614

another prepaid, same strange fees, 11 c/min

Unknown said...

http://www.uniontelecard.com/destinations/22670/burkina-faso-cellular/

9.2c/min, the fees are more extreme, so probably want to use it all at once, like the other ones

ok, I think I'm done looking.

Katherine Crocker said...

I think that the second one down on the list you can find at http://callingcards.com/shopping/card_profile.asp?TC=AA&GUID=5E96259D4DE0EC4A808F393EECE2EBBD is probably the best deal, except I'm not entirely sure what the whole "15%
tax" thing is all about.

happyone2 said...

Hi, I'm Andrea's mom.

I use http://www.voipbuster.com
for landphone $0.11
for cell phone $0.13

Katherine Crocker said...

I think that's Eurocents...which makes it about 14.8 cents/minute for a landline...still not bad, though.