Sunday, June 17, 2007

Dust Storm

Last night I had my first dust storm. The winds picked up as it was getting dark, like they often do when it is threatening rain. My host mom took me for a walk to see her friend down the road. The two women I met there were very sweet and my mom and they had what seemed like Mooré girl talk for a few minutes and then one of the women asked me what women did in the United States. I told her that for the most part they did what men did and that it was becomming more like that everyday but that there were still some housewives.

We left and everything was kind of glowing reddish brown as the dust started to pick up and the light continued to fade. Already it was painful to not cover my face. We got back home as the wind really picked up and soon all the kids ran in the house and even one from another family and we sat there and listened to the wind. Dust seemed to pour through the front door. They gave me some foul smelling goo to put up my nose. My skin was shades darker from the dust. Then the electricity cut out. The wind door down the thatch roof that partially covers they courtyard.

The baby slept but my younger sister and brother and their friend played hand clapping games to wait it out. They taught me some too. It was remarkable that they were not afraid. Then the rain started and it was so loud on the tin roof that you couldn't hear yourself think. I headed to bed and fell asleep right away; it was after 10 - way past my bedtime.

3 comments:

Bob said...

absolutely fascinating! how often we think of having "things" as a measure of success, yet simply having potable water is the standard which most of the world population strives for. Liz, you will have stories you can tell well into old age.

musiclady said...

Hey Liz--this is chrz from LC. I had just thought of you while driving through Rutland--and then saw your blog link posted on our fac conference. Remember New Englands? Thanks for taking us on your PC journey. That's a great poem by Ham S. I met him at a conference at Pine Point--was in his group and loved his classroom. Please be sure to post about any music you hear/see. I'll be reading along on your journey! Sending you positive and healthy thoughts.

liz jordan said...

Hey Chrz!!! So great to hear from you!! What's your email address these days ... drop me an email some time @ ekjordan@gmail.com I'd live to stay in touch!