Friday, July 6, 2007

Hello everyone!

Turns out that many people know of or have been to my site or very close to it. My host father knows two people there and he says that sometimes he goes there on vacation to fish. I thought he must be making that up, but then he showed me his fishing pole and told me that there are lots of fish there in the lake that is created from the dam and that some of the fish are electric and that there are also sacred crocodiles. I will get to visit Bagré next week and I'll be sure to send along pictures.

But now we have the scary task of trying to learn/understand/problem solve the topic of public transportation. Busses or trucks or bush taxis here can be crowded, smelly, slow, unpredictable, overpriced, and hot. Goats and sheep and cows and chickens go wherever people go. But the staff is doing a great job of teaching us about how to get along as best we can with all the new things we're not used to - and of course - to prepare us for next week's travels.

Today kind of sucked though. Got up - got sick - used my trusty pringles can again (different can) - went to ECLA - tried to catch a toad but only managed to split the crotch of my pants - etc etc etc - it's just stupid stuff though and it can almost be made all better by some cold juice.
Anyway... that's all for now.

Thank you all for your comments and emails. I' d love some real mail though - so get out those pens and stationary! Calls too! It's lonely out here and most of us go to bed everynight with our cell phones, on the off chance someone will call .... yes, we're pathetic. Ciao!

2 comments:

Katherine Crocker said...

In less than a month I can send you a letter every week...can you wait that long? If not, I'll stop spending money on Skype and start spending on stamps, although stuff in CR gets caught for over a month at customs anyway....so you're going to have to wait.

I do love you, though.

musiclady said...

Wow--your world continues to change! I'm excited to hear about your site and to see the pics.

As you mentioned getting sick again--I do have a lot of experience with food poisoning and bacteria. I hope you are able to replace lost electrolytes--do you have access to something at all like gatorade, boullion, or broth? A good idea might be to avoid fiber for a few days--I'm probably suggesting the impossible. What's the rice like there? Any chance of bananas or something with potassium? Your system needs time to heal so it can build up the good bacteria for digestion and fight off the bad guys. Stay hydrated!!

Thanks for opening up this area of the world to us readers!