Saturday, April 28, 2007

An Inconvenient Truth


I just finished watching Al Gore's documentary on global warming, An Inconvenient Truth.

Relatively speaking, I've had a lot of education on global warming. I could explain most of what Gore presents in his film to a neighbor, friend or my cat. Could you?

The film was an outstandingly clear representation of the facts and scientific theories surrounding carbon emissions and their consequences. I thoroughly advise any of you who have not seen this film to see it, and I hope you do. I'm sure many of us can just do what we're told and don't need the understanding, but it's obvious only few of us are doing anything at all. So as far as I'm concerned, knowledge is power, and power and empowered people lead to action and change. So maybe more knowledge could help.

Not only that, there are still many people who still doubt that global warming, in any significant way, is happening. Of those that acknowledge that it's happening, many don't really believe that we're the cause of the all time CO2 highs and abnormal temperature fluctuations. They think that man could never have the scale of impact that it's being said we're having on the Earth. I mean cuz obviously, the atmosphere's really BIG.

THE CONCEPT THAT ANTHROPOGENIC ACTIVITY IS CAUSING GLOBAL WARMING IS NO LONGER A QUESTION IN THE SCIENTIFIC COMMUNITY.

It's that simple. It was, and rightfully was, up for debate in the past, but today it is clear. Not only is it clear, but it is overwhelmingly clear. In fact, it's so clear that the theory of global warming has become one of those theories - like evolution, relativity, and a few others - that have so much supporting evidence that their only weakness is that they are labeled theories.

Scientists don't test facts, they test theories so no matter how correct a theory is, it will be called a theory, but it is essential that all you non-science folk separate this out from the colloquial use of the word theory.

So I am DONE listening to people tell my why they think it isn't happening, and I'm DONE listening to people explain to me that we just couldn't possibly be the root of all this. I'd be happy to help you better understand the situation, and I'd be happy to answer any questions that I can, but I cannot sit there and tolerate people I know refuse to face the way ALL the evidence is pointing. I'm all for open minded scientific thought, but quite frankly, that's just not relevant to the topic of whether this all is really the case. There may be subtleties and unexpected aspects of the issue, but that's not one of them.

I've included a graph showing this stark reality. Aside from that last point at 2100 (which actually is a very educated prediction), that graph is ALL fact. Take a look at how high that last CO2 point in 1994 is compared with the natural fluctuations (brown) for thousands of years. And that was THIRTEEN years ago.

1 comment:

Katherine Crocker said...

Isaac Asimov said "Creationists make it sound as though a 'theory' is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night."

"It's just a theory"...and hell is just a sauna.